Construction of the first barracks in Hamm
Frederick the Great strengthens the Prussian presence in the town of Hamm after the end of the Seven Years' War. Lieutenant General Charles Frederick von Wolffersdorff (1716-1781) takes over supervision of the garrison existing in Hamm since the time of the Thirty Years' War and constructs new barracks. He thus relieves the population of Hamm that had to previously accommodate the soldiers. Simultaneously, the position that Wolffersdorff assumes in Hamm documents the increased importance of the military compared to civil functionaries in this era.