1825 Marks-Haindorf’sche Stiftung
Elias Marks (1765-1854) and Alexander Haindorf (1784-1862) found an association in Münster in 1825 to improve the educational sector and to achieve civil equality and equality under public law for the Jewish population in Westphalia.
Various measures follow such as the establishment of schools and the setting up of a seminar for teachers. The association becomes exemplary for the synthesis of Jewish tradition with Prussian loyalty to the monarch and German patriotism. The association is changed to a statutory body under public law in 1866 and exists in this form until its dissolution by the National Socialist regime in 1940.