The winding tower of the Hannover Colliery reaches up into the sky of the north of Bochum like a mediaeval castle. The primary object of attraction in the machine hall is the winding engine from the year 1893. The museum puts this facility into motion during demonstration performances.
An atmosphere of hard work characterises the interior of the hefty Malakow tower. It was here that miners entered the shaft at a depth of 750 metres to extract coal – until the Hannover Colliery closed in 1973 as the very last mine in Bochum.
The main themes in the museum are now the industrial heritage of the Ruhr Area and the history of its immigration.
Girls and boys can playfully get to know the operation of sequences in a mine in the "Zeche Knirps" children's mine.
The name of the colliery refers to the Kingdom of Hanover that was annexed by the victorious Kingdom of Prussia following its defeat in the "Reichseinigungskrieg" [Empire Unification War] in 1866. The merchant Carl Hostmann, founder of the colliery, came from the town of Celle in the Kingdom of Hanover. As a patriot he named the mine in the Prussian province after his homeland.
One of the main themes of the museum is the history of immigration into the Ruhr Area that in its beginnings has strong Prussian accents. The many immigrants from the Prussian eastern provinces were collectively known in the Ruhr Area as the "Polish". The Prussian power elites judged them, as workers and Catholics with Polish culture, to be triply suspicious in the time of class- and culture struggles.