The Westpreußische Landesmuseum (WLM) is the central facility for the collection, preservation, research, presentation and communication of the culture and history of the state located on the lower course of the Weichsel that gained the name of Westpreußen from Frederick II in 1773 and that has been Polish national territory since 1945. The museum was founded in 1975 in Münster-Wolbeck, and since 2014 is housed in the former Franciscan monastery at Warendorf.
The museum receives institutional support from the Federal Government (Federal Government Commissioner for Culture and the Media). It is also supported by the Landschaftsverband Westfalen-Lippe, the State of North Rhine-Westphalia and the town of Warendorf.
The WLM collects and displays the following:
paintings, goldsmith's work, graphic works, old maps, Cadina majolica, medals, coins and emergency money, furniture, models of important constructions and ships, deeds and other exhibits about the state and economic history of West Prussia; history of the Teutonic Order, the Danzig Room as well as alternating and touring exhibitions.
Furthermore, the WLM also accommodates the Westpreußen-Archiv [West Prussian Archive] with more than 1,000 archived documents from four centuries and a photo archive.
The Westpreußen-Bibliothek [West Prussian Library] with more than 19,000 titles can be accessed via the "Verbundkatalog Östliches Europa" VOE: www.herne.de/voe.
The Westpreußische Landesmuseum is attached to the Kulturreferat für Westpreußen [Department of Arts and Culture of West Prussia].
The Westpreußische Landesmuseum has operated an external facility since 1999 in Poland in cooperation with the regional museum in Krockow/Krokowa in the district of Putzig/Puck near to Gdansk.