Mindener Museum

Mindener Museum
Mindener Museum
Mindener Museum

Address

Ritterstr. 23 – 33, 32423 Minden

 Visit website

Opening hours

Tues. - Sun. and public holidays 12 am - 6 pm, special opening times for groups,
closed Mondays, open all year, except 24, 25 and 31.12., 01.01.

Pricing

Adults € 4 | € 3.50 reduced, free entry for children to 12 years, young persons from 12 years € 2, reductions for groups, annual ticket for adults € 10, annual ticket reduced € 9, annual ticket for families € 15

Eat and Drink

How to get here

From A2 Dortmund-Hanover: exit Porta Westfalica; from Hanover-Dortmund: exit Bad Eilsen/West, from there follow the signs to Minden, for further information see our internet page


Public transport

From Minden railway station take routes 6, 10, 509, 605 towards ZOB Minden, from ZOB 10 minutes on foot, for more detailed information see our internet page

 

The Mindener Museum is located centrally in the attractive "upper old town" of Minden. Six buildings from the 16th century in Weser Renaissance style form the backdrop to one of the most traditional Westphalian museums. The heritage-protected museum row was upgraded in 2012. It offers a range of surprises both on the inside and outside: stucco ornaments, stone reliefs, chimneys, a lifting facility from the 16th century and an original building structure with many traces of former residents make the museum row an important exponent of the future permanent exhibition. The museum team is currently working on a new permanent exhibition dedicated to urban history. The first stages have already been prepared. An introduction to the history of Minden is offered with the interactive town model "Festung Minden im Jahre 1873" [The Minden Fortification in 1873] and the "Schaufenster zur Stadtgeschichte" [Window to Urban History], with 35 objects ranging from a hand axe to a handball trophy. Rare golden guldens and stucco ornaments are displayed in the "Erker Cabinet". Fascinating knowledge about the Weser Renaissance and the region's sandstone is offered in the "Diele 23". The history of the Körber & Freytag lending library, its families and its much-travelled furniture is the focus of the Freytag Room. Further sequences to follow step-by-step.

The history of Minden and Brandenburg-Prussia are closely interconnected. As part of the 1648 Peace of Westphalia the former Prince-Bishopric and the identically-named town pass to Kurbrandenburg. Until the breakup of Prussia in 1947, almost 300 years of Hohenzollern dominance have left deep traces in the urban history, in the current appearance of the town and in the collection of Minden Museum. Impressive collection areas of military and fortification history, everyday life, artefacts of local companies and personalities and the art of renowned artists serve to document the Prussian history of Minden.
The following is elucidated in the collection focal points:

Everyday life (1648 – 1947)
•    Trade and commerce
•    Military and fortification history
•    Artefacts of the Weser Renaissance
•    Views of Minden
•    Personalities (including artists)
•    Historic books and archives
•    Photography collection
 

Portrait of Emilie Wilhelmine Auguste von Pogrell, born Harten. Wife of Johann Ernst Leopold von Pogrell and daughter of the Minden merchant Harten. The merchant family conducted extensive trade and commercial activities since the mid-18th century, including ownership of the Minden sugar factory that gained a distribution monopoly from Frederick II. The painter is the renowned portrait painter Friedrich Wilhelm Graupenstein, 1854.
Key to the Fort of Minden, around 1870. Plans existed since 1813 to renew the abandoned fortification of Minden to safeguard and secure the Prussian regions. Against the will of the population, Minden is expanded between 1827 and 1850 to become one of the strongest Prussian fortifications between the Rhein and Elbe. Over 60% of the town area is used militarily. This major requirement for space significantly restricts both private and commercial utilisation space. The fortification also negatively impacts the freedom and leisure of the people. Controls are carried out at the city gates, and at night city gates such as the Weser gate are locked with this key.
"Spiked helmet", around 1900. Minden remains a garrison town despite its defortification in 1873. Imperial rule and the military with their values and ideals characterise everyday life and the social life of the town. The symbol of the outstanding importance of the military is the "spiked helmet", introduced into Prussia in 1843.

Contact details for booking event and placement offers

Telefonnummer

0571-972040-10/20

Fax

0571-9724040

E-Mail

museum@minden.de

Tourism partner

Minden Marketing GmbH, Domstraße 2, 32423 Minden, 0571 8290659,www.minden-erleben.de, info@mindenmarketing.de

Nearby locations