LWL-Industriemuseum Zeche Zollern

LWL-Industriemuseum Zeche Zollern

Address

Grubenweg 5
44388 Dortmund
 

 Visit website

 Facebook

 Instagram

Opening hours

Tues. - Sun. 10 am - 6 pm

Pricing

Adults 4 €
reduced* 2.50 €
Children, young adults (6-17 years old) and pupils 2 €
Pupils incl. guided tour 1.10 €
Family day card 9 €
Groups from 16 persons 3.50 € per person

* recipients of running benefits in accordance with Sozialgesetzbuch II and XII, students (exception: "mature studies"), apprentices, performers of national voluntary services, dependants in voluntary social and ecological year, severely disabled persons from 80% (accompanying person free)
 

Eat and Drink

Pferdestall restaurant
www.pferdestall.biz
 

How to get here

A 40 Dortmund - Essen, exit Dortmund-Lütgendortmund/B235 then follow the signs, or
A 42 Dortmund - Oberhausen, exit Castrop-Rauxel, then B 235 and follow the signs
A 45 Dortmund - Frankfurt, exit Dortmund-Marten, then take the motorway approach road towards Dortmund-Marten and follow the signs.

Please note: If using a navigation system, enter "Rhader Weg 5" as the destination address because not all systems have correct programming of Grubenweg.
Car park available / also for buses
 


Public transport

"Industriemuseum Zollern" bus stop on bus route 462 (underground railway line 47 to Dortmund-Huckarde bus station, then take bus 462 towards Dortmund-Marten until the "Industriemuseum Zollern" bus stop)
or
"Bövinghauser Straße" bus stop on bus route 378 (suburban railway line 1 to Bochum-Langendreer or suburban railway line 4 to Dortmund-Lütgendortmund, then take bus 378 towards Castrop-Rauxel until the "Bövinghauser Straße" stop; then on foot for approx. 1 km or with bus 462 towards Huckarde until the "Industriemuseum Zollern" stop).
or
Railway line RB 43 ("Emschertal-Bahn"), Dortmund-Dorsten, to the "Dortmund-Bövinghausen" railway station; then 10 minutes on foot
 

Ostentatious brickwork facades and opulent gables with battlements and corner towers around the green forecourt are initially more reminiscent of an aristocratic residence than a shaft facility for coal mining. Precisely this was part of the building concept. Today this "castle of work" is definitely one of the most attractive and unusual witnesses to Germany's industrial past.

It can now hardly be imagined that the ensemble was to be knocked down to make way for an expressway upon its closure in the 1960s. The most important object in the struggle for preservation was the machine hall with its impressive Art Nouveau portal – today an icon of industrial culture. The preservation of the exemplary glass and steel building in 1969 not only rescued the complete facility but simultaneously marked the beginnings of industrial heritage preservation in Germany.

In the case of the Zollern Colliery its name is reminiscent of Prussian domination in the Westphalian Ruhr Area: As a sign of gratitude for new levels of freedom in mining, Dortmund entrepreneurs in 1856 wanted to name their new colliery in Kirchlinde after the Prussian royal family. The name "Hohenzollern" was taken and abbreviated to "Zollern", and as a consequence its related colliery in Bövinghausen, today the location of a museum, bears the same name. 

The brickwork buildings of the open-cast sites can well be termed "Prussian" architecture. The machine hall constructed of exposed steel framework represents the enormous upswing of the German coal and steel industry in the Ruhr Area of around 1900. This boom was significantly promoted by progressive Prussian economic policy in the German empire.

The exhibition focusing on the history of the operations also highlights further references to Prussia: it displays among other exponents a Dortmund association flag with an impressive "Germania", a bible that Empress Auguste Victoria gifted to the local Protestant church community and the safety helmet of a Prussian policeman that bears witness to violent suppression of the miner's strike in 1905. 

Coloured picture postcard with a portrait of Emperor William II after a painting by the artist O. Renatus, around 1916.
Otto von Bismarck, Chancellor of the German Empire, in the uniform of a Knight of the Teutonic Order.

Contact details for booking event and placement offers

Telefonnummer

0231 69 61-111

Fax

0231 69 61-114

E-Mail

zeche-zollern@lwl.org

Tourism partner

Dortmund Tourismus  https://www.dortmund-tourismus.de/home.html
Kampstraße 80
44137 Dortmund
Telefon: 0231 18 999-0
info@dortmund-tourismus.de

Ruhr Tourismus GmbH http://www.ruhr-tourismus.de/
Centroallee 261
46047 Oberhausen 
Tel. 0208 89959-0
info@ruhr-tourismus.de
 

Nearby locations